This week, students had so much fun on their field study to Granary Road. They explored exhibits each featuring imaginative play areas in animal, insect or agricultural themes. Giant animatronic spiders, bats and bees greeted our students as they climbed and played on swings, slides and climbers that thrilled their imaginations.
First, students explored the Farmyard Friends Petting Zoo. They loved the experience of watching, petting and interacting with a wide variety of traditional and exotic farm animals in a classic farm environment. They were able to pet the animals and watched the daily goat stampede from their barn at the top of the hill down to the goat corral.
Students explored Bee Hive Honeycomb and learned about:
• How bees are an integral part of the earth’s ecosystem
• Bee-haviour in a natural bee hive and in a man-made apiary
• Bee anatomy
• Bee varieties and the differences between bees, wasps and hornets
Students went to the Bat Cave Hang out where they explored 5 different fascinating fact stations that featured:
• A hanging animatronic mom and baby bat display
• A Bat House walk through
• A ceiling display with screaming bats behind a plexiglass ceiling
• A display with climbing bats on the inside and a 5.5 foot tall kids climbing wall on the outside
• A bat anatomy station where kids can check out a giant life-sized fruit bat
We climbed the Arachnid Web! Here, students were able to climb a 16’ high web of ropes and nets all lead up to a menacing giant animatronic wolf spider. Students learned all about spider life.
They also had lots of fun exploring The Ant Farm. This featured a 4 story life-sized vertical obstacle course under a giant ant. Students got to make their way all the way down past crazy cool obstacles or choose to take a short cut on the double corkscrew earthworm slide or the single twist green grub slide.
During this field study, students were using physical movement to enhance their intellectual growth; this type of physical learning makes teaching more effective, as well as fun. It was an amazing day!!
Room 9 & 11 will be sharing their learning every Friday.